On Wednesday 11 October 2017, Maharat for Development, an NGO based in Washington DC, and Maharat Foundation, an organization based in Beirut, Lebanon signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the purpose of cooperating to achieve their common goals including:
- Advancing human rights in developing countries, mainly in the MENA region,
- Promoting just, peaceful and inclusive societies that contribute in protecting diversity through information and communications technology (ICT),
- Building peace and preventing conflict,
- Empowering women in order to achieve gender equality,
- Building capacities of activists and journalists to advance democratic values in developing countries, especially those in transition,
- Ensuring that the right to privacy, data protection and digital security are protected and enhancing the voice of developing countries in Internet Governance
Mr. Massoud Maalouf, President of Maharat for Development and Ms. Roula Mikhael, Executive Director of Maharat Foundation signed this Memorandum of Understanding. During the signing ceremony, which took place at the headoffice of Maharat Foundation, Mr. Maalouf stated that this MoU constitutes the beginning of the activities of Maharat for Development in the MENA region. Ms. Mikhael expressed her satisfaction at cooperating with this newly established organization based in Washington, DC, opening the way for future joint programs and projects aiming to achieve their common goals.